Monday, September 1, 2008

Culinary Creations: London Broil and Mushrooms

One of my favorite ways to have beef is London Broil. When I was a little girl, my dad would marinate them over night, grill, then slice thinly. It was always a treat to have the left overs in a nice sturdy roll from the bakery, that would soak up the juices. Not only is it good value, but is the ideal summer food as once cooked, we usually get 2 or 3 meals. Recently, my local Whole Foods had ready marinated London Broil on sale, so how could I pass it up?

I did broil mine, for about 7 minutes per side. The mushrooms were crimini, also from Whole Foods. For the mushrooms, I halved them, sauteing them in olive oil, garlic, Herbs de Provence, and a splash of red wine. Once finished and the beef was sliced, I arranged them on a plate and poured the mushroom pan juices over the beef, finishing with some chopped basil and thyme.

For this kind of meal, I like to keep the side dishes light. We had a fresh baguette ~ heirloom tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt, garlic, chopped basil, chives, & thyme, and drizzled in olive oil ~ boiled golden beetroot drizzled in vinaigrette ~ mushrooms mentioned above ~ and kale sauteed in olive oil with garlic, sprinkle of sea salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. We also had a some large green olives stuffed with gorganzola cheese and applewood smoked cheese.
As for the left overs, we usually serve them again with the same sort of sides, chopped in a salad, or on a baguette for a steak sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment