Friday, July 3, 2009

My Favorite Sunny Day Wine: Loredona Viognier

Loredona's Viognier (vee-ohn-yay) is my favorite recent find. Back in April I was shopping at Whole Foods where I spotted a display of these slim, elegant bottles of Viognier for $6.99. While they didn't look like you're average bottle of mass produced plonk, I couldn't get over the low price tag. Luckily the very helpful wine guy saw the look on my face and came over to put my concerns to rest. He said that they get it in every spring at a good price. Still not convinced, he gave me a taste. I was sold. This wine was like Summer in a glass. It had a lovely citrus, peach, and tropical fruit flavor. Completely light on your tongue. It was so well balanced and flavorful without being heavy or oaky. Needless to say, at this price it was a staple in our house. Sadly, they ran out towards the beginning of June and most likely won't have any in stock again until next Spring. This is such a shame as it truly is the perfect summer wine, at an unbelievable price for the quality. We particularly enjoyed it with Thai, pasta, and chicken dishes. Calender marked, I will be frequenting the wine section of Whole Foods next Spring awaiting it's arrival and will have to get a case... or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment